The 3×5 inch Index Card Calendar is different from most other calendars because only the Annual Calendar is fixed – months, weeks and days are only added as you need them and used parts of the calendar are scrapped when they are no longer needed.
Initial Calendar Setup
Using the necessary templates from Downloadable Forms:
- Select the appropriate Annual Calendar form. For this example the January 2015 to April 2016 template is used.
- Create Month cards for the required number of months. For this example we’ll create 3 covering January, February and March.
- Add events from your existing calendar that occur on fixed days in these 3 months (such as birthdays) and events that need to occur at some time during each of these months (for example, Arrange Car Service).
- Create Week cards to cover the first 4 weeks. In this example this will be: Mon 28 Dec (2015) – Sun 3 Jan; Mon 4 Jan – Sun 10 Jan; Mon 11 Jan – Sun 17 Jan and Mon 18 Jan – Sun 24 Jan
- Add events from your existing calendar that occur in each week (as for Month cards).
- Create Day cards to cover each of the days of the four weeks.
- Add events from your existing calendar that occur on each day including timed appointments and things to do that day.
After completing these steps you should have a stack of 36 cards as follows:
- Two double-sided Calendar 2015-2016 cards covering Jan-Apr 2015; May-Aug 2015 and Sep-Dec 2015; Jan-Apr 2016
- Month card for January 2016
- Week card for Mon 28 Dec 2015 – Sun 3 Jan 2016
- Day cards for Mon 28 Dec, Tue 29 Dec, Wed 30 Dec, Thu 31 Dec, Fri 1 Jan, Sat 2 Jan, Sun 3 Jan
- Week card for Mon 4 Jan – Sun 10 Jan
- Day cards for Mon 4 Jan, Tue 5 Jan, Wed 6 Jan, Thu 7 Jan, Fri 8 Jan, Sat 9 Jan, Sun 10 Jan
- Week card for Mon 11 Jan – Sun 17 Jan
- Day cards for Mon 11 Jan, Tue 12 Jan, Wed 13 Jan, Thu 14 Jan, Fri 15 Jan, Sat 16 Jan, Sun 17 Jan
- Week card for Mon 18 Jan – Sun 24 Jan
- Day cards for Mon 18 Jan, Tue 19 Jan, Wed 20 Jan, Thu 21 Jan, Fri 22 Jan, Sat 23 Jan, Sun 24 Jan
- Month card for February
- Month card for March
If you wish, you can set up fewer or more weeks and days depending how far ahead you want to plan and in how much detail. For example, I only plan two weeks ahead in detail so I wouldn’t have the day cards for the last two weeks above but I would still have the Week cards for those last two weeks.
Using the Calendar – Daily
Add any new Calendar items to the Day card, Week card or Month card as required. Strike off completed items on the Day card, Week card or Month card as required.
Using the Calendar – Weekly Review
Decide whether you want to extend the Calendar, for example, if you’re going away on holiday you may want to plan further ahead.
Make sure you have the following blank cards (as a minimum, more will be needed if you’re planning further ahead):
- 7 Day cards
- 1 Week card
- 1 Month card (for use when you pass into another month)
Work your way through the Month, Week, Day cards checking off all completed items. Discard completed past Day, Week and Month cards.
Add events for next 7 days to new Day cards, Week card and Month card as required.
Hints and Tips
For important regular events it’s worth having them on all the appropriate Month, Week and Day cards e.g. a birthday should be on the Month, Week and Day card.
Regular weekly events can just go on the appropriate Day cards e.g. if your Weekly Reviews are always planned for Friday then just put it on each Friday Day card – there’s no need for it on the Weekly card.
If an event can occur at any time that week then just have it on the Week card e.g. if you’re expecting an item to be delivered sometime that week rather than on a specific day.